Healthy dinner replacement smoothies
If you are trying to lose weight but not succeeding then it might be tempting to just skip a meal completely, but this is never a good idea as your body needs nutrients to keep going and to give you the energy to get through your day.
However, if you opt to replace a dinner with a smoothie which will fill you up just as much, provide you with all the nutrients your body needs, and help you to lose weight then it’s a win-win solution all around.
Instead of trying a fad diet or falling into a rut with low-calorie meal options, try swapping out your evening dinner for an amazing dinner replacement smoothie. With so many choices and flavours to choose from you will never struggle to answer “what shall I have for dinner?” ever again!
Smoothies are really quick to make and incredibly convenient as you can take them with you if you are rushing off somewhere and don’t have time to sit and cook a whole meal. It’s important that you choose the right smoothie ingredients if it’s to replace a whole dinner. In this case, your smoothie needs to include lots of protein and fibre – both of these will help to keep you feeling full as well as being good for you. You can also boost the smoothie’s nutritional value by adding some leafy green vegetables to the mix.
There are many combinations of smoothies which are healthy, contain plenty of vitamins and also taste delicious. It’s really up to you to try out different flavours and combinations to see which ones you like the best and which make you feel full – check out our suggested combinations:
- Berries with chocolate – try mixing berries, chocolate whey protein powder, almond milk and chia seeds together to give you a chocolate fix which is that bit healthier!
- If you are having a really busy day and need a big energy boost, try using a combination of avocado with oats – it might not sound delicious but it’s packed full of goodness, not to mention full of protein and fibre – it’s a really good post-workout option.
- For a complete meal replacement, try combining leafy green vegetables with vanilla protein powder, mango, pineapple, some flaxseed and coconut milk – or customise it with whichever ingredients you have to hand. This combination, however, is incredibly balanced and nutritious.
- If you have a big appetite and are worrying that a smoothie won’t fill you up then go for a combination which combines as much fruit and vegetables as you can it into your blender – then add in hemp seeds and some almond butter.
- For a smoothie with a difference, try combining almond butter with jelly and other fruit ingredients to give a healthy equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It provides a great balance of fats, proteins and carbohydrates as well as tasting amazing.
- A classic flavour is chocolate with cherry, so add in avocado for the healthy fats and cherries as a good superfood combo and you have an amazing taste full of goodness.
- A rather unusual but yummy combination is blueberry with coconut milk – try mixing these two with a protein powder for a really great drink which is packed full of antioxidants.
- Try adding mint to a vanilla protein shake for a refreshing flavour with added bite – it contains plenty of protein and the flavour combination is perfect when you are looking for a lighter tasting replacement meal.
- If you want to feel full for ages then try a combination of good fats by mixing bananas, avocado and protein powder to create a thick nutritious shake which will really fill you up and is full of healthy fats and protein.
If you are looking to lose weight, you still need to feed your body with essential nutrients so instead of trying to skip a meal and getting into unhealthy habits, which will leave you feeling hungry, and then reaching for bad snacks, think about a smoothie.
With so many choices of combinations, there is definitely a smoothie flavour to suit every taste and it’s just a case of mixing the ingredients to ensure you are giving yourself enough balance of protein and fibre to keep your body balanced throughout the day.
Try replacing your dinner with one of these filling, nutritious and tasty shakes to see exactly what difference it makes to your weight but also to your energy levels and overall health as your body starts to benefit and respond to the added nutrients and goodness.
Whether you opt for a fruit-laden smoothie or prefer a more savoury green option, the choices really are endless – you just need to put whichever ingredients you have in the fridge and cupboard, into the blender and you are all set to go.
About the Author: Scott is a sports and fitness writer and writes full time for Focus Performance. When not in front of his computer or spending time in the gym you can see him hanging out in his favourite coffee shop devouring the latest Stephen King novel.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are of the author alone and do not represent those of Slimnhappy.