What is Kashaya Powder?
What is Kashaya?
Even I had this question when I heard it the first time.
A few days back I met a wonderful lady named Abha in the course of my work. She has a farm in Karnataka and she is into organic products (not fresh produce). Her company is Aau Naturals. She gave me a sample of Kashaya powder.
I had never heard of it before and I was interested.
So here is what I learned: Kashaya powder is a part of the ancient wisdom of India. It is a blend of traditional Indian spices. Kashaya is an excellent drink to keep cough, cold, acidity and nausea at bay. It provides relief from these conditions as well.
Kashaya is consumed as a drink or tea if you may call it. It is a healthy replacement for tea, coffee and other unhealthy beverages.
Abha told me that Kashaya powder is normally prepared with coriander seeds and cumin seeds alone, but they have used additional ingredients like cardamom, black pepper, fennel seeds, dry ginger etc. to help boost its taste and to augment its health benefits.
As soon as I reached home a brewed myself a cuppa 🙂 And I quite liked it. I drink it regularly now and on the day when my throat was sore, the tea was a real saviour.
We all know that Indian spices have tremendous health benefits but we don’t consume them enough. Many times the benefits of these spices are lost in the tadka oil or in the overcooking. In 1 cup of Kashaya drink, you get the benefits of so many spices. What more do you need?
Let us take a look at the benefits of these spices:
- Coriander seeds: These seeds are known to ease digestion, lower blood pressure, fight food poisoning, help urinary tract infections.
- Black pepper: Black pepper is carminative, it discourages the formation of intestinal gas. It improves digestion and stimulates appetite. It is a decongestant and aids in the treatment of respiratory problems.
- Fennel seeds: Fennel seeds have been used as a digestive aid since ages. Fennel seeds are also rich in iron and help ease menstrual cramps. These are also rich in calcium and antioxidants.
- Cumin seeds: These seeds are a staple in any Indian kitchen. They aid digestion and are a natural laxative. Cumin seeds also eliminate phlegm and mucus and boost immunity.
- Cardamom: Cardamom stimulates the digestive system. It helps prevent muscular spasms. Cardamom benefits people suffering from asthma.
- Dry ginger: Also known as sonth, dry ginger cures indigestion and bloating. It also relieves cold symptoms like a headache. Dry ginger is also a natural antibiotic and cures inflammation.
I am thankful to Abha for introducing me to this amazingly healthy drink. You can contact her on +91 8605321691.
PS: I liked their organic coconut oil too. A post about that is coming soon 🙂
Image courtesy: www.foodandremedy.com