5 superb benefits of Sorghum (Jowar)
Jowar is the Indian name for sorghum, a cereal grain native to Africa. Jowar is rated among the top five healthy grains in the world and rightly so as it provides a plethora of health benefits.
Jowar is a gluten-free, high-protein, cholesterol-free source of a variety of essential nutrients.
- Rich in fibre: Jowar is extremely rich in fibre. 1 cup of Jowar provides around 40% of your daily recommended fibre intake. A high fibre diet reduces your risk of obesity, cardiovascular disorders, hypertension and other digestive disorders.
- Gluten-free: Gluten is a protein component found in wheat which can cause digestive disorders in many people. Jowar is a gluten-free grain and hence an excellent alternative to what for gluten insensitive/intolerant people.
- Rich in Iron: Jowar is rich in iron which helps to increase the red blood cells. Jowar provides you with non-heme iron, a form of the mineral that is not absorbed as easily as the heme iron in animal-based products. To increase the iron absorption from Jowar, add a vitamin C source to it like a squeeze of lemon.
- Good bone health: Jowar is rich in magnesium which helps in the absorption of calcium. Thus it helps to maintain the calcium levels in the body.
- Manage diabetes: Jowar has a low glycemic index. It is also rich in protein and fibre. All this makes it a slow digesting food. This slows down the rate of absorption of glucose into the bloodstream. Thus Jowar prevents sugar spikes and helps manage diabetes.
Additionally, Jowar contains B vitamins, which help the body build new tissues and cells, as well as potassium and phosphorous. Also, it contains traces of zinc, copper and over 20 micronutrients as well as high levels of antioxidants.
So, there are many reasons to include this healthy grain in your diet.
PS: Jowar can be popped into delicious popcorn, a healthier alternative to the regular popcorn.
If you like what you read, please comment and share. That keeps us going 🙂