7 Amazing benefits of Amaranth (Rajgira)
Amaranth has been around for thousands of years. The Aztecs used it as a staple and even included it in their religious rituals. Amaranth is still the native crop in Peru, and it’s grown in Africa, India, China, Russia, South America and North America. The grain is gaining popularity today because of its startling health benefits. This tiny-but-powerful food has some similarities to quinoa — both are good protein sources and are naturally gluten-free — but it also boasts of some impressive nutritional stats of its own.
- Rich source of protein: The protein found in amaranth is high-quality protein. This protein is highly bioavailable too which means that it is easily digestible. Protein foods are beneficial for preventing weight gain since they make you feel full hence preventing overeating.
- Digestive health: Amaranth is very high in fibre which aids digestion and keeps the digestive tract healthy. Good digestion also ensures proper absorption of nutrients.
- Lowers cholesterol: Due to its high in fibre content, it naturally helps to lower cholesterol levels. The oils and phytosterols in amaranth also help lower cholesterol levels, including LDL and triglycerides.
- Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory properties of peptides and oils in amaranth can ease pain and reduce inflammation. This is especially important for chronic conditions where inflammation erodes your health, such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
- Healthy hair: Amaranth contains an amino acid called lysine which is not produced by our body. Lysine is extremely effective in helping the body to absorb iron and zinc which are vital for hair health.
- Rich in nutrients: Amaranth is a very rich source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, and copper and a good source of zinc, potassium, and phosphorus. These minerals are necessary for thousands of processes throughout the body. Amaranth is also a good source of many essential vitamins like A, C, E, K, B5, B6, folate, niacin, and riboflavin. These too are extremely vital for our well being.
- Aids weight loss: Amaranth aids weight loss due to its high protein and fibre content. It is an ideal food to be included in your weight loss diet plans.
I am sure you all will definitely want to try this superfood.
BONUS: You can pop amaranth like a popcorn and enjoy a yummy snack. OR make it into a chikki (brittle) and enjoy!!