A to Z skin foods: I-Iceberg and Romaine Lettuce
Hello dear all!
Today’s alphabet is I and the skin food is Lettuce-Iceberg and Romaine Lettuce.
I know you are thinking that are they so healthy that they are a part of this list????
Yes, they are!!!
These are green leafy vegetables which are eaten raw as salad. We all are aware of the health benefits of green leafy vegetables. And imagine when we eat them raw, how healthy they will be for us?
These crunchy leaves are an excellent source of Vitamins A, C, K, potassium, folic acid, manganese and chromium. They are also a good source of dietary fibre. They are extremely low in calories( 11-15 calories per 100 gm) and thus are an extremely desirable food.
Following are the skin benefits:
- Vitamin A: Lettuce has a high amount of vitamin A( concentration of pro vitamin A carotenoids and beta-carotene). Vitamin A helps in cell turnover of skin cells. It is also a good antioxidant. It fights off the free radicals, thus preventing premature ageing. Vitamin A revitalizes the skin and keeps it looking young and healthy.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant protecting the skin. Vitamin C also plays a major role in collagen synthesis which gives our skin the required elasticity.
- Potassium: Many people don’t know that potassium is a key indicator to healthy skin! The reason is that it is a key player in cell integrity by maintaining electrolyte balance and internal fluids – keeping cells hydrated and skin internally moisturized. Consuming potassium rich foods makes your skin look revitalized.
- The fibre in lettuce keeps the digestive tract healthy and regulates bowel movement.
- Lettuce has a high water content. It provides moisture to our body without the calories.
So chomp on these healthy leaves!!!
Today’s recipe is a healthy salad.
Crunchy Salad recipe
This is my go-to salad and I call it “crunchy salad”. I don’t like salad dressings much, especially in regular meals. So this salad doesn’t have any dressing. But you can go ahead and add dressing if you like. If you are eating this salad with meals it can be had as it is, but if eating only salad, then you can add a tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
1 small bunch of iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
1/2 red bell pepper cut in cubes
1/2 yellow bell pepper cut in cubes
1 cucumber chopped
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1 tomato chopped or 10-12 cherry tomatoes
2 tsp lemon juice or as per taste
black salt to taste
salt to taste
pepper powder to taste
- Wash the lettuce leaves thoroughly and soak them in ice cold water.(it keeps them crunchy).
- Mix all other vegetables in a big bowl.
- Tear the lettuce leaves with your hands in bite sized pieces ( do not chop) and add to the vegetables.
- Add the seasonings.
- Toss and enjoy!!!
I don’t have a pic of this salad, but it is a yummy looking and tasty salad. This is how I make it. You can add or delete vegetables as per your choice. You can add grated carrots or steamed sprouts or onion or boiled chickpeas (chhole)….anything…..
Enjoy guys!! Please leave your comments. They motivate me!!